Infused water can increase your water intake
Water is the most effective detoxification weapon. Infusing water will add flavour and help you increase your water intake. Be patient with the infusion process. The longer you allow the water to infuse, more flavourful the water will be. Let the water infuse overnight and savour it in the morning.
You can infuse water using
- Berries – blueberries, strawberries, goji berries,
- Herbs – mint, basil leaves, peppermint, rosemary, thyme, cayenne pepper
- Florals – lavender, rose petals
- Fruit – apples, melons, pineapple, oranges, lime, grapefruit, peach, kiwi
- Spices – star anise, cinnamon quills, cayenne pepper, fennel, ginger
- Vegetables – cucumber, beets, jalapeno
- Herbal tea – our favourite is Pukka Tea! They are caffeine free, organically grown and ethically sourced. Check out their collection here – http://www.pukkaherbs.com.au/teas/
- Liquid chlorophyll – you can buy this at a health food store. Add a tbsp. to water. (Try and buy liquid chlorophyll that’s alcohol free).
- Apple cider vinegar – this can be strong and is an acquired taste. Experiment to find your happy balance.
Our favourite pairings
- Cucumber + Jalapeno + Mint
- Apple + Cinnamon
- Cucumber + Mint
- Pineapple + Mint
- Pineapple + Orange
- Ginger + Mint + Lemon
- Orange + Blueberries
- Strawberry + Lemon + Basil
- Watermelon + Mint
- Strawberry + Lime + Cucumber
- Rosemary + Grapefruit
- Raspberry + Kiwi + Peach
- Blueberry + Lavender
- Raspberry + Honeydew
- Beets + Pineapple + Lemon + Mint
- Cucumber + Lemon + Strawberries + Mint
- Pear + Fennel
- Lemon + Ginger + Cayenne Pepper
- Raspberry + Lemon
- Strawberry + Cucumber + Basil
- Apple cider vinegar + Grapefruit
Things to remember
Wash ingredients well and try to source ingredients that are organically grown.
Infusion time might vary. After 4 hours, unpeeled citrus fruit can leave a bitter taste in your water. While softer fruit such as melon can become waterlogged. When preparing your infusion keep these factors in mind and adjust infusion time accordingly.
When preparing fruit for infusion, slice softer fruit in thick slices and hard fruit like apples in thinner slices. For a better infusion crush fibrous ingredients such as ginger, rosemary and lemongrass.
Keep it simple: Use a combination that you like and keep it simple.
Glass container: Preferably use glass to prepare your infusion blends.
Sip away and enjoy!
PS: Let us know about your favourite infusion blend!
Words To Grow By
Henry David Thoreau
“I believe that water is the only drink for a wise man”.